Ghosts in White Flannels –The History of Dumfries CC
On Friday the 29th May, Dumfries Cricket Club will be launching the first ever book about the Club. The book describes the history of the Club, since its inception in 1853 as the Dumfries Cricket and Bowling Club, across 184 fully illustrated A4 pages.
This will take place at 7pm in the Farries Suite of the Clubhouse at the Club ground at Nunholm, Dumfries Sports Club. Editions of the Book will be available for purchase on the night for £12 or for £15 by post.
The book describes the different eras of the Club and tells the story of cricket as part of the sporting and social history of Dumfries, and of Dumfries and Galloway.
The topics covered in the book range from the first Club ground at Milldamhead in Dumfries before the Club, and its pavilion, moved to its second, and current home, at Nunholm, to the Club's greatest achievement of winning the Western Premier League for the first time in 2012.
The present day multi-sport nature of Dumfries Sports Club is reflected in the Cricket Club's association through the years with a range of sports including the beginnings of Queen of the South, Scotland's first ever lacrosse match, and the Dumfries Annual Games.
The history of Cricket itself is also touched upon with the exploits of Club Captain A.G. Steel whose name is on the Ashes Urn that will be fought for this summer by England and Australia.
However the book also describes the many individuals, players, and characters, who have sustained the Club beyond 160 years with many now long gone, the "Ghosts in White Flannels".
After the launch of the book, copies can be obtained from the Clubhouse, Nunholm, Bacci’s Newsagents, Whitesands, Dumfries and from Mac Creedon at Solway Print, 11 Catherinefield Industrial Estate, Dumfries DG1 3PQ (01387 262 960, firstname.lastname@example.org).