Cricket Scotland @CricketScotland
July 17, 2023 11 months

Tunnnock’s Uddingston and Forfarshire will meet in the Scottish Cup men’s final on August 20 at Titwood after they came through their semi-finals on Sunday.

Uddingston were taking on Gen!us Grange in a contest that produced a tension-filled, dramatic conclusion.

Batting first at Bothwell Castle Policies, Uddingston lost Imran Mughal LBW to Gordon Goudie off the first ball of the day, but recovered to post 204-9.

Opener Mo Awais made 41, Ben Willmott made 20 and Ross Lyons made an excellent 63 off 89 balls batting at number seven.

Skipper Bryan Clarke and Zeeshan Azhar added 16 not out and 16 from 15 balls respectively to get their side up and over 200 and make sure they used all available 50 overs.

Scotland squad member Jack Jarvis led the way with 4-51 for Grange while ex-Scotland international Goudie took 2-37 and Robbie McGlasham 2-33.

Tom Willmott took the key wickets of Ryan Flannigan and Chris Greaves early on in Grange’s reply to leave the visitors 17-2.

33 from Fin McCreath and 63 from former Scotland skipper Preston Mommsen in the middle order kept Grange in the game, whilst Jarvis contributed a vital 36.

Heading into the last two overs the game remained in the balance, Grange had reached 191-7 and still had captain Tom Foulds at the crease.

However, in over 49 Zaighum Ahmad dismissed Foulds for nine and gave away just four runs and then, in the final over with Grange needing 10 more runs to win, Mughal held his nerve.

He conceded just four runs too while taking the last two Grange wickets of Charlie Peet and McGlasham meaning that 204-9 played 199 all out and Uddingston won by five runs.

Mughal ended up with 3-22 and had led an outstanding bowling and fielding effort by his side.

At Forthill, Clydesdale batted first against hosts Forfarshire.

They lost James Galling early to the bowling of Aman Bailwal. Skipper Craig Young was batting at number three and made a top score of 45, but the next highest score was 17 and the Glasgow men were bowled all out for 149 after 41.1 overs.

Lewis James took the key wicket of Scotland captain Richie Berrington for 15, having him caught by Scott Cameron.

Bailwal, James, Cameron and Jack Hogarth all took wickets while Scotland all-rounder Michael Leask led the way with 4-25.

Jack O’Neil and Rory Johnston put on 60 for the first wicket in reply, but they were both out for 25 and 32 respectively. and when Craig Wallace followed suit for 10 it was 84-3.

They lost a fourth wicket at 107 and then three wickets in two overs turned the game on its head.

Cameron and Bailwal both fell to Zeeshan Bashir in the 21st over and then in the 22nd over Leask (27) fell to Sahir Hussain.

All of that meant it was 120-7 and there were a few nerves going around the home support.

James (nine not out off 54 balls) and Hogarth (15 not out off 39 balls) remained calm and managed to see the holders through in the 37th over by three wickets as 149 all out played 150-7.

Bashir took 3-33 and Hussain 2-17 from 10 overs as Clydesdale gave themselves a chance, but it was not to be.

The semi-finals are pictured by Alec Davies and via Forfarshire’s Twitter feed

Most Popular News

Latest Videos