Drama in Scottish Cup Semi-Finals

05 Aug

A dramatic weekend of Scottish Cup action took place this weekend as both semi-final fixtures went down to the wire.

Carlton batted first against Clydesdale as the two sides served up a thrilling encounter at Grange Loan. Former Scotland captain Gordon Drummond took a liking to the visiting attack as he and Fraser Watts built a handy partnership.

Watts eventually fell for 43, but Drummond continued his onslaught to reach 70. Safyaan Sharif was causing the Carlton batsmen a few problems with a good spell of seam bowling but the Carlton batsmen stayed strong to reach 218 for 8 in the 50th over.

Zeeshan Bashir also accounted for 3 Carlton wickets

Gordon Drummond claims another scalpIn reply, Drummond repeated his solid performance with the bat when given the ball. The bustling bowler dismissed the hard hitting Sharif and Clydesdale’s professional to give Carlton a decent start.

However a spirited innings from captain Kasim Farid (59) and Andrew Scobie (46) would see the result hang in the balance after Rob Thornton had claimed the two prized wickets.

As the match headed towards the finishing line Clydesdale required 17 runs from 4 overs. It was Carlton who held their nerve to secure a place in the 2013 Scottish Cup Final. They also celebrate their 150th Anniversary with a fixture against the Scottish President’s XI on Tuesday.

There was even more drama in the second semi-final as CSL Eastern Premier heavyweights Arbroath and Grange played out a exhilarating encounter at Portgower Place.

Brendon Ford was impressive as he set about setting a decent total for the Stags to chase. He made 64 before becoming Raj Routray’s second victim of the day.

Things got worse for Arbroath after Fraser Burnett had been dismissed for 29, closely followed by captain Marc Petrie and Ben McGill to leave the visitors teetering on 124/6.

Ewan Davidson

It was thanks to a gutsy partnership of 47 for the 9th wicket between Carnegie and Clark that would give the bowlers something to defend.

Grange then got off to a wretched start after finding themselves reduced to 29/3 after an inspired spell from Ben McGill. Former Saltire Neil McCallum (33) and former Scotland U19 player Henry Edwards (39) got things back on track as they had the target in their sights.

The match then took another twist when Craig Ramsay and Ford both claimed two wicket apiece with 34 runs still required and only the solitary wicket remaining.

An experienced innings from Stuart Davidson, supported by Raj Routray got the final runs required to complete a dramatic win with 12 balls remaining.

Grange and Carlton will now battle for the Scottish Cup Final at New Williamfield on Sunday 25 August 2013.

The match will take place alongside the Cricket Scotland Trophy Final between Uddingston and MacRae West of Scotland on the second pitch at Stirling on the same day. 

View other news from August 2013

kit banner

All Stars Cricket


Coaching Courses



Live Sport

All partners