Scotland complete second T20 win

06 Jul

Mannofield groundKenya 100/8 Obuya 38 Burnett 4-0-18-3, lost to Scotland 106/3 MacLeod 46*, by 7 wickets, (with 9 balls remaining)[Scorecard] 

Scotland sealed a second consecutive T20 win against Kenya at the glorious sun-kissed Mannofield on Friday.

A good crowd gathered for the 5pm evening fixture as the hosts looked for their fourth win of the series.

Collins Obouya won the toss and elected to bat first, as Neil Carter and Gordon Goudie opened the bowling for Scotland.

Carter dealt Kenya an early blow taking a wicket with the second ball of the innings. Tamnay Mishra hit the ball straight to Richie Berrington at point who completed the low catch.

Drummond then struck in the sixth as Ifran Karim got a feint nick and was well caught by the wicket-keeper, Craig Wallace, standing up to the stumps leaving Kenya on 25/2.


After a decent start by the Kenyans, they lost their way slightly in the 7th over as Calvin Burnett was introduced into the attack.

The fast bowler produced a sparkling bit of fielding from his own bowling, swooping and releasing the ball in a single motion to hit the stumps, and run-out Morris Ouma.

His next ball was full and straight, bowling Rakep Patel, as Kenya found themselves on 29/4.

A 5th wicket partnership of 46 between Duncan Allan and Collins Obuya developed, but with boundaries still hard to come by, the Scots would have been content with their work in the final overs.

Eventually Allan was dismissed looking to go big down the ground, but Moneeb Iqbal steadied himself at long-on to take the catch to break the partnership.

MacLeod batting

Collins Obouya took his side to exactly 100 after their 20 overs, finishing unbeaten on 37. Calvin Burnett was the stand out Scotland bowler with three wickets.

Scotland were always in control of the chase as Calum MacLeod and Richie Berrington got the reply underway.

Both took their time to get their eyes in, but knew no major risks were needed. Berrington did depart just when he was in a position to dominate. After making 20 the batsman went forward, was beaten by the turn, and was stumped. 

Homecoming Matthew Cross went to the wicket and managed 9 before being caught behind trying to cut.

Craig Wallace was the next Scotsman in and demonstrated his ability to reverse-sweep to find the boundary, as he and MacLeod looked to take Scotland home.

Although the home side had wickets in hand, Kenya managed to restrict the boundaries, with the equation working out at 19 runs from 18 balls.

Wallace produced an elegant cover-drive for four to ease the nerves, although he departed the following ball, edging an Allan delivery onto his own stumps for. 

The home support weren’t to be concerned though, as the now well-set MacLeod started the 19th over with a four and six to tie the scores. 

He was to finish the match in style as he sent Aga's 3rd delivery of the over high over square-leg and into the houses on the other side of the wall.

Scotland celebrate

The large crowd that attended were treated to an entertaining end and some sunny weather helped the match to be a great occasion. MacLeod finished his mature innings on 47, meaning Scotland would claim their second T20 win of the series by 7 wickets. 

Scotland will now take on Kenya in the final match of the series in the Intercontinental-Cup starting on Sunday, again at Mannofield.

Play will commence at 11am and finish at 6pm each day,  with admittance to the ground free of charge. 

View other news from July 2013

kit banner

All Stars Cricket


Coaching Courses



Live Sport

All partners