Scottish Cup Final 2012

03 Sep

After Watsonians won the toss, captain Stuart Chalmers elected to bat first on a slow and low wicket. Opening batsmen Andy Hislop and James Easton were watchful against the disciplined bowling attack of Sean Weeraratna and Ali Farooq.

Both of the Heriot’s bowlers found early seam movement and it was Weeraratna who cleaned bowled both openers, and when Ewan Chalmers played onto his stumps from a Farooq delivery Watsonians were 34/3 after 15 overs.

Stuart Chalmers then joined Andrew Chalmers to build a promising partnership for the Myreside men. Andrew Chalmers looked assured at the crease, as he got used to the pace of the wicket to move the score onto 59, until the over after drinks break he was caught by substitute fielder Qasim Ashraf at mid-off for 23.

The experienced Craig Wright was given out stumped after some smart glove-work by Bradley Kneebone, who whipped off the bails and umpire Alan Cutter raised his finger. Dewald Nel looked to accelerate the innings scoring 20, before gloving a Keith Morton delivery to give Kneebone the simplest of looping catches behind the stumps.

Pete Legget (33) was the next man in and took little time in dispatching bowler Cameron Farrell for a wonderful straight six, while Stuart Chalmers dug in to reach a well-made fifty to push the Watsonian score past 150 with 10 overs remaining.

A flurry of late wickets would mean the innings would conclude on 171/9, which looked a pretty competitive score on a wicket that seamed with the occasional delivery keeping low. Heriot’s produced a discipline bowling display, with Sean Weeraratna returning figures of 10-0-3-33.

The south-side of Glasgow was treated to some glorious late summer sun after the interval, which seemed to quicken up the outfield and made batting conditions a little easier as the afternoon went on.

The reply started with Heriot’s batsmen, Steve Knox and David Ross, heading to the crease. The pair started well against Nel and Paddy Sadler, until the former bowled Knox with the score on 21.

David Ross played some attacking strokes until he was well caught on the long-on boundary by Andrew Chalmers. Kevin McLaren was the next man in, but didn’t last long as he pulled a Craig Wright delivery into the leg-side, only to watch Sadler take a low catch running in from the boundary.

The wicket lifted the Watsonian spirits and Heriot’s then had to endure a very accurate spell of bowling by Craig Wright and Stuart Chalmers, however Bradley Kneebone and Cameron Farrell batted with great patience to negotiate a tricky 16 over period. 

Pete Legget and Ewan Chalmers then replaced Wright and Chalmers and this was the signal for Farrell and Kneebone to lead the Heriot’s charge. 

Farrell was the leading aggressor, launching a couple of huge sixes into the Hutchison Grammar school yard to lead the Goldenacre team towards Scottish Cup glory. This aggressive spell of batting ensured Farrell would reach his 50, while Bradley Kneebone was not far behind in reaching the personal landmark


Heriot’s passed the Watsonian total in the 44th over, thanks to a glorious straight drive down the ground by Farrell to spark the celebrations, as he finished on 75* with his partner Kneebone finishing with 51*.


An entertaining final was enjoyed by a number of the Clydesdale faithful and traveling supporters from both sides to witness a clinical and disciplined display from the Heriot’s team to crown them 2012 Scottish Cup Champions.

View other news from September 2012

kit banner

All Stars Cricket


Coaching Courses



Live Sport

All partners